Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wednesday = Hump Day

If you can just get over the hump in the middle of the week that is Wednesday, you know you're almost homefree.

The concert on Monday was fantastic. Highlights:
- I'm a bit embarrassed that I just found out we have a Saxophone Ensemble. Debussy and Handel played by a SATB saxophone chorus is a wonder to be heard. Definitely a thumbs-up.
- Percussion Ensemble was fantastic, especially their settings of "Sitno Paidusko Horo", a traditional Bulgarian folk song (played on a xylophone, two marimbas, and an assortment of bells and rattles), and an original composition that sounded like it came straight from the jungles of Africa (two drum sets, bongos, and some foreign drums). Awesome.
- A delightful song cycle by the chorus called "Zoo Illogical", a set of five children's poems (Mongoose, Anteater, Llama, Giraffe, and Hippo) set to modern, but simple melodies. Made me smile.

I've taken care of a lot of business in the last couple of days. Between getting my health insurance, money, and phone situations sorted out, I'm feeling a lot more at ease about the trip. I'm also about two-thirds moved out of my dorm room with couple storage boxes and my clothes left to move back home. Once I do some laundry and sort out exactly what I want to bring, I'll start packing my suitcases.

I had my last Lyric Diction class today, at least in St. Louis. This term we tackled Italian and a bit of French diction. I'll be taking German diction in Vienna. Can't say I'll be bummed about missing the French vowel sound quizzes! Since I'm taking half of my Theory IV class here in St. Louis and the other half in Vienna with the help of the Internet and faxing, I had a meeting with the professor about what material we're going to cover oversees and how assignments and exams will be dealt with.

Tomorrow I'm performing in the Thursday student recital. I'm singing "The Crucifixion" from Hermit Songs by Samuel Barber and the Vilja-lied from Franz Lehar's Die Lustigue Witwe (The Merry Widow). My performance is going to count as my jury, or my vocal final exam. I think I'm going to be fine, provided I don't mess up a tonguetwister of a phrase in German!

I guess that wraps everything up I have to report, and now I'm off to write a final paper for Philosphy. I hope you all had a great Hump Day.

Love, Lucy

1 comment:

  1. My Sweet Lucy,

    You have an angelic voice with lots of emotion; your presence on stage is relaxed and inviting; you are beautiful to watch; and, oh my, what a wonderful range! I'm so glad I finally was able to hear just you and piano. Congratulations on a wonderful performance today. I didn't cry, but I sure smiled a lot. Thanks for inviting me. Keep up the good work. Love you lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete